Thursday, June 26, 2014

Where Rainbows End by Cecilia Ahern




Synopsis:

Rosie and Alex are destined for one another, and everyone seems to know it but them. Best friends since childhood, their relationship gets closer by the day, until Alex gets the news that his family is leaving Dublin and moving to Boston. At 17, Rosie and Alex have just started to see each other in a more romantic light. Devastated, the two make plans for Rosie to apply to colleges in the U.S.

She gets into Boston University, Alex gets into Harvard, and everything is falling into place, when on the eve of her departure, Rosie gets news that will change their lives forever: She's pregnant by a boy she'd gone out with while on the rebound from Alex.

Her dreams for college, Alex, and a glamorous career dashed, Rosie stays in Dublin to become a single mother, while Alex pursues a medical career and a new love in Boston. But destiny is a funny thing, and in this novel, structured as a series of clever e-mails, letters, notes, and a trail of missed opportunities, Alex and Rosie find out that fate isn't done with them yet.


************

Jelai's Review

FROM: Jelai (Please call me Jelaine)

TO: All The Book Lovers Out and In There

SUBJECT: Where Rainbow's End by CECILIA "please-excuse-as-I-have-a-thick-mucus-secreted-in-the-respiratory-passages-and-discharged-through-the-mouth,-as-during-the-cold.-In-short-phlegm" AHERN

Do you know that I was already writing my review even if I haven't finished reading it yet??? I just can't help it. This book is so reminds me of Mr. Fifty and Ana Steel. I know what you're thinking, and NO! Sorry, sweet pumpkins, no BDSM here. No cuffs. No grey neckties. No silver balls. No vanilla ice creams. No F-me-swinging moments, just mere sweet kisses and butterflies-on-my-stomach. 

I was referring to Christian and Ana's exchanged of emails and text messages as you will see a lot of those in here. Not just emails and texts but also IM's, notes, chats, telegrams, hallmark cards and letters too (as FRIENDSTER was, I guess, yet to be launched when CA was writing this). I don't know how they call this form of literature. 'Guess I need to ask Mr. Wiki when I bump into him one of these days. 

So now, my friends, if you want some good switch from those tear-jerker and heart-tugging love stories, then this book is up for grabs. Not that I didn't shed a tear. Believe me, my cheeks were saturated with tears. Not because of some dramatic scenes but because the novel is so hilarious I could die goin' nuts on my grave. I don't know how many times I dropped the book and rolled on the floor laughing my ass off. 

I like it! I like it! I like it! When I read the teaser, thought it was one of those childhood-sweethearts mushy love affair, and so when I reached the page when something happened to the girl which prevented her to be with the guy, I got so frustrated I wanted to storm out of the house in the middle of the night, bang the Booksale store where I purchased this book and demand a freakin' refund! Which I am now thankful I didn't. 

There are a lot of scenes that would surely make readers hang themselves with frustration but the author compensated it with her brilliancy in humor. 

I like chicklits. I am, too, a Sophie Kinsella fan. And I thank my friends for recommending Ahern to me. It ain't your ordinary chicklit though. The story reflects what we have in the real world, especially for women out there, how we evolve from being rugrats to daddy's girl to idealistic teenagers to womanhood and to finally have our own rugrats (Though sometimes it really doesn't happen in that order, for there were some instances (basing it from the experiences of people i know) when womanhood comes later or during the time of motherhood). 

After reading this novel it made me appreciate myself even more, as a woman. Err, ahmm ok, maybe I'm yet to become. Say being a female, how we tough the times with flying colors when life decided to f*ck it up once in awhile. How we dusted ourselves off after landing on our knees crying because of SOME bastards (to avoid accusation of generalizing Adam's bloodline), whom for the life of me I'm still awed to know that godds granted them two heads (please excuse my choice of words) and still manage to be outrageously stupid. Take note, SOME BUT NOT ALL. Just so we're cleared. Ha ha ha.

Well, moving forward, while reading I swear I heard Alicia Keys' singing the song about women ashed the grounds they walk on and so was Rihanna bubbling about running the world. Too bad Destiny's Child missed the collaboration they were so damn busy buying clothes and shoes of their own. So much for independence! Ha ha ha ha. 

Where Rainbows End, a 566 pages well-written and a well-plotted novel. You'll be punched with intelligent humors which not all writers can do. And in between those laughter and frustration you'll find yourself slowing falling in love with Alex and Rosie's so-called friendship. 

I love all the characters. And I mean all of them. The dog. The lollipop man. The burglars. The tats artist. The postman. The Indian restaurant owner. From the main characters down to ants. It's a story of love, friendship, family, hope, dreams, reality, acceptance, moving on, bravery and a whole lot more. And when you reached the last page, there you'll see where the rainbows end. 


Hoping I made some sense up there,
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment