Thursday, June 26, 2014

Looking for Alaska by John Green




Synopsis:

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same

********

Jelai's review:

Teenage literature. Never thought I'd ever hook up with Young Adult books. Though I know that reading knows no age, and for some time still finding myself traveling back to Far Far Away Land with Disney Princesses (guess fairytales never get old), I'm still tsking with the fact that I've already fallen far too deep with stories perfectly fit for teens ten years my junior (that is if we gonna exclude those scenes badly in need of some parental consent. LOL). But I know a good book when I read one, could even smell them a mile away. And sure as hell this book is one of them.

'Guess most of us is familiar with John Green, heard and read good reviews about his novels. But to appreciate a certain literature is still up to its reader and you simply cannot judge a book through other readers' point of view, and never ever criticize a book through its author. Always know how to separate the art from the artist. Speak as you see, that's what they say. In this case, I speak as I read. haha

I really don't know how to rate this book. I even don't know what too feel first because I've got all emotions mixed up. I wanted to laugh but there was this huge lump inside my heart it was too painful I couldn't even cry.

I wanted to scream and curse the irrationality of what had happened and yet I understood. There were questions that you'd rather not want to have any answers and leave it just like that. I wanted to hate and yet I still loved. I wanted to stop but found myself seeking for more.

Looking For Alaska was my initiation for John Green's lit. A christening. Though I wish I've done it earlier. I just so like his style. Words were well written. The story was dragging. A lot of good lines you can write down and read from time to time. A bit inspirational. I like books that make me say, "Hell, yeah."

I can say my first was good albeit painful...


No comments:

Post a Comment