Thursday, June 26, 2014

At Last by Brenda Joyce




Synopsis:

Raised as a pirate's daughter, Amanda Carre has not been tutored in the finer social graces. Alone in the world, she has never depended on anyone, until fate intervenes when Cliff de Warenne rescues her from a mob at her father's hanging. Now she must set sail for England to find the mother she never knew, and her chaperone is an infamous ladies' man….

The greatest gentleman privateer of his era, Cliff knows honor demands that he see this beautiful wild child to London and into her socialite mother's arms. He's aware that Amanda is utterly unprepared for a debut in London's ton, so his only recourse is to become her guardian and champion her transformation into a lady--and find her a suitable match. But with every passing moment it becomes harder to deny his jealousy and ire--until Amanda makes her stunning debut, a lady at last. And when his passion is finally released, their love can no longer be denied.

*********

Jelai's review:

To be honest, Cliff de Warrene didn't appeal that much to me the first time I bumped into him at "the masquerade" (no pun intented). Same goes to the other event that involves his brothers, sister, and stepbrothers. Until a friend posted her review and out of curiosity I borrowed her copy, which she gladly obliged. 

I don't know. Maybe because he was described as a pirate and the first man came to my mind was Jack Sparrow with his dirty clothes, untidy dreadlocks hair, and his to-hell-with-toothbrush smile. Oh, I love Depp but Captain Sparrow is another issue. hehe.

Going back to the matter. As I slowly stripped Cliff-- i mean his character-- in this novel he was slowly making a place in my heart, too. And I'm in love again! hahaha

He's not a pirate but a pirate hunter, he just liked to dressed up like one. Just like his stepbrother Devlin he’s a captain of his own ship, too. And from the quarterdeck of his massive frigate, unawarely, he had been watching La Sauvage--Amanda, the pirates daughter--and admired her free spirited character. 

Then fate brought her to him which made him her ward, her champion, her guardian, her hero. But as time passed, Amanda wished he will become her lover, too. 

This novel shows a strong family ties. Because the day Cliff officially declared himself as Amanda's guardian the rest vowed to protect her from the cruelty of the ton. 

Cliff known to be a notorious man and a self-confess rake but he tried to be honorable and gentleman for Amanda's sake even if it means diving into the freezing water of Atlantic Ocean, which he literally did. 

I love the chasing part, the seduction, the transformation of Amanda from a wild child into a woman and became Cliff's lady at last!
Favorite line:

“We are virile men, and when smitten, there is no stopping us.”- The Earl of Adare (virile, huh.)

“I am a de Warrene. There is no stopping us, not if it is a question of love.” -Cliff de Warrene

“When the de Warrene fall in love it's once and forever.” -Eleanor de Warrene O’neil 

Amanda: “I didn’t think you would wish to continue our friendship. But it is so important to me. I will beg you to forgive me so we can remain dear friends.”

Cliff: “I don't want to be a dear friend.... And, goddamn it, do not tell me you felt as a friend does when you were in my bed!”

Amanda: “That's not fair.”

Cliff: “You left me. That's not fair.”

And

“Damn it! I made love to you and you left me!”- Cliff de Warrene

No comments:

Post a Comment