Thursday, June 26, 2014

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroader





Synopsis: 

Brooklyn can’t sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe’s ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn’t Lucca visiting her dreams.

Nico can’t stop. He’s always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca’s ghost begins lea
ving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they’re being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest. 

****************
Jelai's review:

The teaser was kinda creepy. I’m not a fan of anything ghostly. This must be the reason why I didn’t give much of an attention when a friend urged me to make a time to read this novel. That was almost a year from now. I’m glad she voluntarily lend me this book.

My only regret after reading was I should have read it earlier. The very moment she recommended it. 

I like it. No. I think I love it! 

This is also my first time to read a novel in a form of a poem. A taste of Shakespeare. But words won’t make your nose bleed and wonder why the sun ate the moon? In fact it was so light I can read it over and over again. 

There’s no heavy drama. No heart wrenching love affair. Not even a tear-inviting story. And yet it was so poignant, it tugs your heart without making you cry.

Oh yes there were ghost. But it didn’t make me scream. In fact I find it cute. hehe. 

For me the story was more of a psychological book. What was written was just the surface of a deep ocean. You need to swam deeper to know what’s at the bottom. And I did. 

This is what I found...

Chasing Brooklyn is life. Our life. Especially for those who has been haunted and chased.

Brooklyn and Nico are Me and You. 

Lucca and Gabe mirrors our fears in life. They represents the ghost of our past or fears in life. 

Brooklyn’s fear of facing Gabe shows our own fear in facing our own endeavor. 

Nico’s habit of running shows that sometimes we chose to just run-away from our fears. We tend to think that it was the only way to be in motion so we could move on. Only to realize that we ended up to stagnation. 

But Brooklyn and Nico became each other’s beacon. When they chose to face their fears the ghosts disappeared. Together they healed. Together they were happy. Together they were loved. Together they found each other.


Brooklyn refuse to face Gabe because she was so afraid of his ghost. Just as how we are so afraid to face ours. 

I love Nico’s lullaby for Brooklyn. I love every words in this story. The struggles. The healing. The fears. The bravery. I love how Lisa Schroeder ended the story-- at the finish line where Nico is waiting for Brooklyn, knowing it’s only just the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment