Friday, June 27, 2014

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Ann's Review:

BEAUTIFUL DISASTER is when...

BAD BOY meets a BADDER GIRL

Abby moved to a new school to escape the life-long stigma she was born into. Everything was going alright until one night, she went with her best friend to watch an underground fight club and crossed path with Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox. 

Travis was intrigued when he met Abby. It was a novelty that a girl hasn't tried to impress him. Ms. Goody two Shoes probably thinks she's too good for him. 

But both of them couldn't deny the sparks that fly whenever they're in striking distance though...and soon both of them finds out that the harder they fight it, the hotter their attraction grows.

My fave scenes/parts:
--------
“Please don’t do this. I can’t stand feeling like this…it’s…it’s killin’ me,” he said, exhaling as if the air had been knocked out of him.
“I’m done, Travis.”
He winced. “Don’t say that.”
“It’s over. Go home.”
His eyebrows pulled in. “You’re my home.”
--------
“I’ll never love anyone the way I love you, Pigeon.”
I sniffed and touched his face. “I can’t.”
“I know,” he said, his voice broken. “I never once convinced myself that I was good enough for you.”
My face crumpled and I shook my head. “It’s not just you, Trav. We’re not good for each other.”
---------
“You can’t tell me what to do anymore, Travis! I don’t belong to you!”

In the second it took him to turn and face me, his expression had contorted into anger. He stomped toward me, planting his hands on the bed and leaning into my face.

“WELL I BELONG TO YOU!” The veins in his neck bulged as he shouted, and I met his glare, refusing to even flinch. He looked at my lips, panting. 

“I belong to you,” he whispered, his anger melting as he realized how close we were.
--------
His eyebrows pulled in. “I can’t win with you. I can’t win with you! You say you’re done…I’m fucking miserable over here! I had to break my phone into a million pieces to keep from calling you every minute of the damn day—I’ve had to play it off like everything is just fine at school so you can be happy…and you’re fucking mad at me? You broke my fuckin’ heart!”
-----------------

There are more, but I think you guys should just read the book, haha.

Well, the story is full of angst. Some might say that this isn't a good book for YAs since the characters are just 19 or so, but hey, it's a book, it's fiction. I got carried away on some "break-up" scenes
and actually got teary-eyed haha. 

Trust me, it's a worthy read. Again, I was entertained and I'm planning to read it again---and can't wait for the version next year where the story will be told in Travis' point of view.


No comments:

Post a Comment